Monday 7 September 2009

Shadows in the night.

The peace torn asunder, impacts along the hull of the Hulk class Exhumer. I awoke screaming in a panic, looking out of the viewports as several vessels surrounded our ship.
Alarms and shouts. Chaos as the crew members scrambled.
My father at the helm - cool and steady - immobile as the very stars themselves, "align out, prepare to warp. I can't afford to lose this vessel to pirate scum."
Nothing. The metallic computer system speaking out informing us of the obvious, "you are unabled to warp because you are warp scrambled."

Staring out my my cabin view ports I see them. Five Caracal class Cruisers, a Raven class Battleship and innumerable Drones flickering past the port.
The carona of a missiles impacting on the shields, smaller impacts from the Drone weapons systems.
My father and crew doing everything they could to compensate for the incoming damage.
It wasn't enough. A hairline fracture creeping across the outer glass of the main view screen - the shield systems have been breached.

I run on to the bridge and throw myself into my father. A section of roof collapsing where he once stood, narrowly missing us, my mother rushing over and praying to every God she can think of.
The gun fire ceases. A crackle and buzz as the Neocomm activates.
"Pirate vessel; this is Caldari State patrol 6, stand down and prepare to be boarded or we will be forced to destroy you."
A fierce light in my father's eyes, I shrink back and whimper as he yells down the Neocomm, "what the fuck do you think you are doing? We are a civilian mining vessel with no association to any pirates!"
A dark and forboding laugh cuts across the Neocomm. "Then prepare to die, we [bzzt]ll de[bzzzzzt]essel." The communication cuts off, a new voice broadcasting over private channels - callsign Cynobaby, "this is Amy Reynn - would you like a little help with those bullies?" Before we could answer - several explosions rock our vessel, Caldari State vessels warping away or dying under sustained fire from our unknown benefectors, the Raven fighting back with all his might.
Boarding tubes extend, a hastey attachment as we scramble to board the as yet unknown heroine's vessel, my mother and father pushing me ahead with some of our most trusted crew.
The vessels shuddering as the vessel of my parents begins to tear apart, being forced into the unknown vessel as the airlock slams shut. A violent shudder of the Raven being destroyed. Debris and other detritis battering the already unstable Hulk causing its structure to rupture and tear apart. Then nothing.
Beautiful, peaceful oblivion takes a hold.

----

I wake up suddenly in a cold sweat as the memories subside. Alone I sit, gasping for breath, tears rolling down my cheek.
Groping around and feeling the empty spot on my cot. I'll never get used to sleeping alone, but I'll get through this like I did when I lost my parents.
The Guristas Associates are my family now.
I owe them so much. Thank you 'Cynobaby' for saving my life, and those of the few crew that managed to cross into your vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment