Monday 14 September 2009

I can do science, me.

Spirits...
I've been stuck with a large amount of the damned stuff. I don't even drink, but my old friend Ms. Starkiller thought it would be a good idea to throw several crates into a canister and contract them to me. It would've been rude to turn her generousity down so right now I'm testing the stuff as an addition to my missile fuel.

First stage testing - Planet V Ishomilken:
50 rockets with the warheads removed. Tested varying amounts of fuel:spirits from 1:0 - 0:1 mixes.
Thrust measured using the rocket thrust equation:
F = m dot * Ve + (pe - p0) * Ae
Altitude measured by onboard microchips.
In theory, we found the perfect fuel:spirit ratio gaining 79.85% range over pure fuel propulsion...
In theory.

Second stage testing - Kaimon, agent mission.
My Raven class Battleship spitting Cruise missiles bringing Kielle brand destruction to my targets. Missile velocity and range increased, missile explosivity up a good portion, too. I speak through the internal comms channel, "reload the bays, we'll be dropping out of warp in 18 seconds. Engineering, how is shield integrity looking down there?" The usual acknowledgements came through the internal comms, engineering calling back. "Shields and structure are fine, capacitor is recharging to 89%, Ma'am. We have a green light and ready for the next engagement."
Smiling I confirm, my ship shudders the warp tunnel collapses. Slowly decellerating as we reach the final area of the Angel Cartel complex. Two Battleships, two Battlecruisers and one Destroyer awaiting me. Sirens sound as the computer system detects positive locks, then impacts.
I begin to boost my shield systems in short bursts, keeping them stable around 80%. I launch my drones and send them to engage the Destroyer whilst my new and improved Devastator Cruise missiles tear easily through the Angel Battlecruisers.
First wave decimated, a second warping in. Good, more ships to destroy, and more bounties for me. My Hammerhead drones - acting like the mindless automatons they are - make a b-line straight for the nearest target. Merrily chewing through the shields of the ship, the explosion off the bow shuddering my vessel. Another group of ships warping in.
I activate the internal comms. "Prepare to warp, this is getting a little heat-" I get cut off as my Battleship shudders violently, torpedo impacts directly on my shields. I try to compensate as the onslaught continues. I turn the vessel and accelerate to warp. Nothing. Feth, we're being warp scrambled. I need to kill that frigate.
My overview lighting up as more Frigates start to scramble me...
Shields failed, my capacitor almost dry, I call below decks, "prepare for emergency ejection, shields are almost gone and the structure will melt quickly under this sustained fire!"
Too late. Torpedoes, missiles and cannons tearing through my shields, boosting in vain as the damage starts to leak into the spartan armor.
Seconds turning into hours as I sit, bracing myself in my capsule for the explosion, my crew and families jetisoning in their own escape pods. First in last out. The munitions loaders and handlers just reaching their pods as a fluke missile strikes through one of missile tubes.
Blood curdling screams flood over the comms system as the augmented missiles begin to explode. My beautiful ship being ripped to shreds from inside and out, then the final boom as the last of my missiles and Angel weapons cause a catastrophic reaction in the power plant.
My ship... my crew! Floating for a moment in my capsule checking the aftermath. Onboard computer relaying information directly into my brain. All but 8 escape pods got free. Another moment of silence. Respect for lost crew.
My mission was completed Just moments before the loss of my Raven and those crew members, but no amount of ISK will replace them.
I dock and get my reward for the mission and arrange for money transfers to be sent out.
36 lost crew, 27 families to inform and a measely sum of 108million ISK distributed between the families. Pocket change to me, a lifetime of riches to them.

I shall miss them.
I raise a cup of my finest tea to them. May they find peace and happiness in their next lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment